Our salad pots
Scotty Brand Salad Pots
Our salad pots are prepared to a traditional family recipe and packed in the Clyde Valley, Scotland by Scotia Produce. The company was established by the Adams family in Lanarkshire and is run by brothers Craig and Stuart, together with their mother Carole. The business is fairly small, so the family oversees every step of the process and ensures it keeps a home-made approach. There are now five varieties in the range: Coleslaw and Potato Salad are available in Asda and Morrisons in Scotland and Asda also has the Beetroot in sweet & sour sauce, Smokey BBQ cheese coleslaw and Sweet chilli & cranberry coleslaw.
A blend of shredded cabbage, carrots and onions combined with our special mayonnaise for just the right mix of creamy, crunchy, tanginess. This recipe has been used by the Adams for almost 20 years – it is creamier than many coleslaws. The cabbage is cut by hand before the ingredients are combined together in small batches of exactly the right proportions in Craig’s shiny new preparation room. Scotty Brand coleslaw is delicious with salad, as a side-dish with meat or fish dishes or simply as a topping for a baked potato.
Our Smokey BBQ cheese coleslaw
This traditional salad with a mix of cabbage and carrot has added ingredients of cheese and spices to create a distinctive creamy choice of coleslaw, ideal for barbecues.
Our Sweet Chilli & Cranberry coleslaw
Coleslaw and cranberries are mixed together with a variety of spices to create this mouth-watering recipe that offers an alternative twist to the usual version.
Our Potato Salad
A creamy combination of diced potatoes, salad onions and mayonnaise. The potatoes are cooked in small batches and cut a little larger than most to allow you to savour the potato flavour and to give an improved texture. Scotty Brand potato salad is an ideal accompaniment to a green salad or it is a luxurious side-dish for many main dishes. Try it alongside our delicious recipe for carrot and beetroot salad.
Our Beetroot in sweet & sour sauce
This goes back to our roots (sorry!) – our founder Albert Bartlett began his business boiling up beetroot in an old bathtub in his garden back in 1948. We thought it was high time to bring that delicious vegetable back. Scotty Brand beetroot is a convenient mix of delicious perfectly cubed beetroot chunks with added sweet and sour sauce providing the perfect flavoursome combination.
Did you know?
- Many historians believe that coleslaw has been consumed, in some form, since Roman times. However, modern recipes, which are usually made with mayonnaise, could not have been developed until the 18th century, when that condiment was created.
- The word “coleslaw” most likely came from the Dutch word koolsalade, which means “cabbage salad.” However, in Dutch, koolsalade is often shortened to koolsla.
- The word cabbage came into the English language in the fifteenth century and gradually replaced the word “cole”. The term has survived in Scotland as kale, which refers to a cabbage whose leaves curl outward instead of inward to form a head.
- Cabbage, which is the major constituent of coleslaw, is rich in vitamins and low in calories. Cabbage contains vitamins A, C, K, E and B9 and is also rich in elements like sulphur, calcium, potassium and iron.
- Potato salad was first made by Spanish explorers after arriving in Europe from the New World in the 16th century. The first potato salads were normally cooked and/or dressed with vinegar or wine.
- Scotty Brand potato salad contains salad onions. The Scottish name for them is syboes. They are also sometimes called green onions – a favourite of Booker T and the MGs.
- Beetroot was believed to be a powerful aphrodisiac by the Romans. It also contains a substance called tryptophan, which contributes to a feeling of general well-being.
Coleslaw typical values per 100g:
Energy 794kJ/192kcal; protein 1.1g; carbohydrate 8.2g; of which sugars 0.9g; fat 16.9g; of which saturates 2.4g; fibre 1.3g; sodium 0.33g; salt equivalent 0.83g. Mix contains cabbage, mayonnaise, carrot and onion.
Allergens: contains egg and mustard.
Potato salad typical values per 100g:
Energy 855kJ/207kcal; protein 1.3g; carbohydrate 10.2g; of which sugars 1.1g; fat 17.5g; of which saturates 2.8g; fibre 1.5g; sodium 0.37g; salt equivalent 0.93g. Mix contains potatoes, mayonnaise, salad onions and chives.
Allergens: contains egg and mustard.
Beetroot in sweet & sour sauce typical values per 100g:
Energy 242kJ/58kcal; fat 0.1g; of which saturates 0.0g; carbohydrate 13.4g; of which sugars 10.3g; fibre 1.8g; protein 0.9g; salt 1.5g.
Allergens: contains soya beans and wheat flour.
Smokey BBQ cheese coleslaw typical values per 100g:
Energy 1267kJ/303kcal; fat 27.2g; of which saturates 3.9g; carbohydrate 11.8g; of which sugars 7.2g; fibre 4.5g; protein 2.8g; salt 1.3g.
Allergens: contains cows’ milk, egg, barley and mustard.
Sweet chilli & cranberry coleslaw typical values per 100g:
Energy 1289kJ/308kcal; fat 28.7g; of which saturates 4.6g; carbohydrate 11.3g; of which sugars 7.8g; fibre 1.9g; protein 1.2g; salt 0.8g.
Allergens: contains egg, celery and mustard.