Andrew Fairlie’s Chilled Standhill Farm Soup
4 kg Scotty Brand tomatoes (cut into quarters)
3 red peppers (sliced)
1 large white onion (sliced)
4 sticks celery (sliced)
8 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 sprig thyme leaves
3 sticks lemongrass (bruised)
1 cucumber (peeled, deseeded and sliced)
1 packet basil
300 ml. olive oil
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Heat half the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the sliced peppers, onion, celery, cucumber and garlic. Season with salt & cook over a medium heat until soft.
- Add the herbs, lemongrass and half of the tomatoes. Continue to cook until all the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Pass the remaining raw tomatoes through a potato ricer into a bowl.
- Pass the cooked tomato, mix through the potato ricer and mix with raw tomatoes. Mix together.
- Pass this mixture through a fine sieve.
- Season with soy, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and salt to taste.
- Whisk in the remaining olive oil and chill over ice. If the mix is too thick, adjust the consistency with iced water.
- Serve when thoroughly chilled. We recommend serving in small shot glasses with a straw as a fun canape!