Cauliflower Bake with New Potatoes
800g Scotty Brand Ayrshire new potatoes
1 Scotty Brand carrot
1 red pepper
160g frozen mixed vegetables
300ml semi skimmed milk
1 tbsp cornflour
120g reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 pinch ground black pepper, to taste
150g breadcrumbsPrint Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan oven / 360°F / gas mark 4.
- Peel and chop onion and carrots, place in a large pan with a mug of cold water and bring to the boil then simmer gently.
- With your hands, break the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets. After 2 minutes of simmering add them to the pan with the onion and carrot.
- Cover the pan with a lid allowing the vegetables to steam gently. Add more water if the pan boils dry.
- Deseed the pepper and dice. Slice the leek and grate the cheese.
- Mix the cornflour in a teacup with a small amount of the milk to make a paste.
- Once the cauliflower is tender (test with a knife). Transfer the vegetables to an oven proof dish along with the pepper, leek and frozen vegetables, leaving the cooking water in the pan.
- Pour the cornflour paste into the pan used to cook the vegetables and return to heat. Gradually add the remaining milk, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in half the grated cheese and the mustard. Add black pepper to taste. Pour sauce over the vegetables.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the vegetables and sauce. Mix breadcrumbs and remaining cheese together and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes until bubbling and golden. While baking wash new potatoes and boil for approximately 10 minutes and serve with the bake.