Easy Shepherd’s Pie
8 Scotty Brand potatoes, medium sized
1 large swede
1 pinch ground black pepper
3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
1 medium onion
1 tbsp plain flour
400g chopped tomatoes
500g minced lamb
1tsp dried rosemary
150ml waterPrint Recipe
- Peel and dice the potatoes and swede. Peel and finely chop the onion
- Carefully add the potatoes and swede to a large pan of boiling water and boil for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, dry fry the minced lamb in a saucepan over a moderate heat until all the meat is browned.
- Drain off any excess fat then add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, rosemary, and water. Bring to the boil and stir until thickened. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the potatoes and swede are tender, drain and mash until smooth, adding the milk. Season to taste with the black pepper and keep hot.
- Add the meat mixture to a heatproof dish and spoon the mashed potato and swede on top. Use the back of a spoon to level the surface. Roughen the surface with a fork if desired to help crisp the surface.
- Place the pie under a moderate pre-heated grill for 3-5 minutes or until the surface is golden brown and the potato is piping hot.
- Serve immediately.