500g Scotty Brand potatoes
2 onions, thinly sliced
80g mature cheddar, grated
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 190C / gas mark 5.
- Melt half the butter in a 20-25cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium-low heat and fry the onions for about 15 minutes, until soft and golden.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly.
- Set aside about 10g of the cheese. Take the onions out of the pan and layer a third of the sliced potatoes into it, then add half the onions and half the cheese. Season well.
- Do this a second time, then add a final layer of potatoes. Dot the rest of the butter and cheese over the top and season.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender all the way through and the top is golden. Serve piping hot, directly from the pan.