Roast shoulder of Scotch Lamb with potato & onion
Roast shoulder of Scotch Lamb with potatoes
2kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1.5 to 2 kg shoulder of Scotch lamb trimmed of any excess fat
1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
4 medium onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
1 litre lamb stockPrint Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/Gas mark 9. Season the lamb with freshly ground pepper and roast in a medium roasting tray in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Remove the lamb from the tray and pour off the excess fat.
- While the lamb is roasting, heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cover and cook for 5 minutes till soft. Remove the cover from the pan, add the garlic and rosemary and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan.
- Lay a layer of potatoes into the roasting tray and lightly season with black pepper. Lay 1/3 of the cooked onions onto the potatoes, repeat this process until you have three or four layers of potatoes and onions.
- Bring the lamb stock to the boil and pour over the potatoes, press down with a spoon till the potatoes are all submerged.
- Place the lamb on top and return to the preheated oven and continue to cook for 3 hours.
- The lamb should be meltingly tender and the potatoes and onions should have absorbed the stock and lamb juices.