500g Scotty Brand potatoes
Rapeseed or olive oil
2 cloves garlic (optional)
Salt and pepperPrint Recipe
- Peel the potatoes and cut them so that they are fairly regular in size.
- Bring to the boil in a pan of water and simmer for just 5 minutes – they should still be a little underdone. Drain and leave to cool completely.
- Grate the potatoes coarsely and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry the onion in a dash of oil until it’s soft. If you wish, add garlic too. Stir this into your grated potato.
- Pour enough oil into a non-stick frying pan to cover the base and place it over a medium heat.
- Form handfuls of the grated potato into cakes, about 1cm thick.
- Fry the cakes without moving for about 5 minutes, so they form a golden crust underneath.
- Carefully flip them over. Continue to cook until golden brown and crisp on each side, which will take about 12 minutes. You may need to turn them once or twice again during the cooking.